Monday, May 10, 2010

Frank Frazetta Passes Away At 82

Go HERE for the full story at the New York Times' Arts Beat Blog.

Frazetta was one of the true greats--if not THE great--of fantasy and science fiction art. For everyone who's done or admired fantasy art in the past forty years or so, he represented the pinnacle of the craft. I'm sure you've all seen his work at one time or another, they've graced innumerable books and posters and comic books. and album covers. Here's an unofficial site that has scans of many of them:

frankfrazetta.org

If you're an artist, you can't do any better than studying his work and try to understand how he did what he did. His composition, his colors, the incredible fluidity and life he gave his subject matter, were all amazing. He was always one of my personal inspirations as an artist. Its always been a goal of mine to create images at the level he did. i still have a long way to go, but I'm grateful I've had the work of such a master to show me what's eventually possible with my own work.

RIP Mr. Frazetta.

No comments: